There is no option for directly measuring the angle between a line and a plane in Dips. However, you can do this using various workarounds. This example will consider a lineation (line) of 110/50 and a foliation (plane) of 175/50.
- Use the Add Plane option to add a plane to the stereonet with dip/dip direction = 50/175.
- Switch the coordinate convention to trend/plunge.
- Use the Add Plane option to add the lineation with trend/plunge = 110/50.
- Add a Pitch Grid plane which passes through the foliation pole, and the lineation point.
- Use Measure Angle to measure the angle between the lineation point and the intersection of the foliation plane (great circle) and the pitch grid plane.
- The angle should be approximately 17 degrees.
Measuring the angle between a line and a plane