In RS2, there are a couple of methods for determining lateral earth pressure:
- The easiest method is to look at the shear and normal stress on a vertical material query just outside the pile wall boundary. Normal (lateral) and shear stress can be plotted on any query using the following process:
- In RS2 Interpret select the Query>Add Material Query option.
- When done adding the query line, either right-click and select Done or press Enter. A dialog pops up. Generate values at 100 locations along the query that was just created. Press OK.
- Choose the Graph>Graph Material Queries menu option. Select the Material Query that was just created, right-click, and select Graph Selected. You can also right-click on the Query and select Graph Data.
- In the dialog that pops up, select Effective Normal Stress for the Vertical axis.
- Press the Plot button. This is a plot of effective normal stress (lateral earth pressure) along this material query. You can right-click in the graph to export the data to Excel.
- The second method is to use a joint element at the pile wall-soil interface and plot the effective normal stress in the joint. See Tutorial 23, which focuses on an anchored sheet pile wall, for more information.